Monday, November 7, 2011

New Music - It's Not You, It's Me.

This fall was going to be a very exciting one for me because 4 of my favorite bands came out with new albums (Yes, I still call them albums. You don't?) in a span of a couple months. This rarely happens. Needless to say, I was pretty excited about this and I was at the point where I was actually listening to Nashville radio stations because I was sick of all the music I owned. By the way, if you live in Nashville you know how powerful a statement that was. Worst radio stations ever...this is not up for debate.

Here are the albums in order of release date in 2011...

First up was Gungor's follow up to Beautiful Things with Ghosts Upon the Earth. Now, I really liked Beautiful Things. I could listen to it all the way through while only having the urge to skip one or two songs along the way. It was the first album I owned by them but it made me excited for more. I even saw them live during their tour for this album and was thoroughly impressed. Not so much with the new one. Usually I give an album at least 5 spins all the way through before I pass judgement. This one I gave more than 5 because I couldn't accept the fact that I just didn't enjoy it that much. I saw them live a couple months ago and left early. Not good. Is it me? People seem to like this new stuff but I could never seem to latch on.
Next up was Switchfoot's Vice Verses. I am very biased with this band because I have been listening to them since their first album and I have truly loved everything they have ever released. This one was no different. Brilliant title, great guitar tone, killer lyrics and catchy melodies. I'm hooked from the opening riff.
The next week, MuteMath came out with Odd Soul. This was the follow up to Armistice, which was released in 2009. I enjoyed their first two releases, but where this band really shines is their live show. I can't really describe it but it is definitely something worth checking out, even if you don't really like their music. You will at least gain some respect for their musicianship and charisma afterwards (or you won't). This album just doesn't do it for me...either before recording this album, or during, their guitarist left the band for reasons I don't have time researching. That resulted in their bassist recording all the guitars and you can sort of tell. Just because someone can play bass, doesn't mean they can play guitar, and vice verses (see what I did there?). Anyway, I'm a little disappointed with this album but not too down about it because I will still attend any show by them if they are within driving distance.

Almost done...next up was Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto. Stop it with this title. Just stop it. Despite the fact that it is now "cool" to make fun of Coldplay, they consistently have put out music that I, any many others, have enjoyed. I jumped on early with them with Parachutes (validating my right to enjoy their music) and have really enjoyed everything they've come out with. I was fortunate enough to see them live at Starwood Amphitheatre (R.I.P.) about 6 years ago and they blew my mind with their sound and polished setlist. This album...not so much. I like some of it but it feels like they over-thought this one. It will probably grow on me over time but it is nowhere near their last three albums for me.

One out of four? Ugh. This was a bit of a let down but here's the point I'm trying to get across to myself: Just because one of my favorite bands releases an album that I don't necessarily love doesn't mean that I am going to swear off buying their stuff going forward. So what if I spent $10 on something that I'm not completely satisfied with? It's $10. Plus, this band took time to create art and put it out there for everyone to hear. I can always respect that since I have tried to do it on a number of occasions.

I guess the larger point is that music is subjective. You may love 3 out of the 4 or even all of them. I don't care. The only reason I am even writing this is to waste time before my first child is born.


- James

No comments: